@ Xtreme we seem to be working on brand new cars all the time. To stay with that trend we started a winter project on a 2011 STI.
The owner described the stock audio system as a "clock radio." We should be able to remedy that problem ;)
Here are a few before pictures to get us started:
The first thing we did was to tint the windows using high quality Llumar film.
After the window tint we started on the audio system. When we are using high end drivers like Hertz it is usually best to start with Dynamat, especially in the front doors. We have spent a lot of time testing and Dynamat on the doors really improves the midbass you can get from a 6.5" mid. On this car we went ahead and did Dyna Xorb pads while dynamating the outside sheet metal.
With the front doors dynamatted we started on the subwoofer enclosure.
The plan is to use a single HX 300D Hertz High Energy 12 with dual voice coils. It will be powered by a Hertz Energy HE 1D which is rated at 320 wats RMS.
The 12 will be installed in the trunk on the drivers side and the amps on the passenger side. Here we are beginning the prep to begin putting down fiberglass.
Yesterday we dynamatted the rear doors and ran the power, signal and speaker cables. We went with the Scosche EFX cables. They are high quality and the power cable is true 4 awg.
Unfortunately, my attention deficit is kicking in and shiny things are distracting me. We pulled the front bumper and headlight assemblies out to customize the lights with LED strips and halos from flash tech
. When we did this, it became very clear that now was the time for the cold air intake.
Because of the turbo on the STI the addition of a cold air intake from AEM. They publish the increase in HP at 36.
Below is the new intake from AEM
After the cold air intake detour we got back to the reason we pulled apart the front end. The headlights were disassembled and we put in led strips, "angry eyebrow" style. We also used this opportunity to measure the bulbs so that we could get halos from Flashtech. Since this is a 2011 we will also be writing up the install manual for Flashtech.
Now, back to the audio system. We cut out 3/4" mdf for the baffles up front. The Hertz High Energy XL mid bass drivers are absolute works of art. We had some carbon fiber sitting around from another job so I decided it would be a good idea to give the mdf a nice layer of carbon fiber. Here they are, ready to be installed in the doors.
The last thing to do on the front stage is complete the tweeter pods which are going in the sail panel. I'll get back to that in a minute. We finished some of the sub box work. Here we are with the inner fiberglass complete and front baffle attached.
The front panel will get another layer for the custom grile we are building.
As always, a test fit in the car.
On the other side of the trunk the amp rack is progressing. Here is the base and the HE4 test fit.
Here is a sketch of what we are thinking about how to finish the amp rack and sub:
As we began to mock up the sub box and grill we had to make a few design changes due to space and time constraints.
Here the trim panel is being test fit. We were able to get the sub box for a 12" High Energy sub, trim panel and grill into the corner and still close the trunk lid.
The grill mockup:
The sub box almost complete
The amp rack will feature a Hertz HE 4 for the front and rear speakers and and the HE 1D to run the sub. Here we are building the amp rack and trim panel.